Wednesday 17 October 2012

% of body fat

All the new digital scales have body fat percentage on them. I think they work through something fancy like that they send a pulse through your body and see how quick it comes back? Anyway I remember in high school that they only had one of these and it was special and new! No idea what my % was in school. But regardless sometimes I do this, only once in a while but I did only a few weeks after I had my daughter and my % was 32%. I never really knew what that meant and still don't - and Im pretty sure its a useless number to know because the healthy range is 21-35% or something and thats such a huge range! The health profession seems to come up with all sorts of numbers which make us try to reach to see if we are 'healthy' or not!

I did the % this morning anyway just to see the change so far and its 25.3% now.
When looking up what it 'should' be all I seemed to find on Google (the go-to for any question) was this photo (http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/).



I think this only shows that everyone is different! I am 25% and certainly don't look like that photo! And I was 32% when I started and if I looked like the 30% girl I wouldn't have needed to lose anything!

I also found this (http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/):


This one probably makes more sense. It looks like I fit between about 20.9%-24.5%. I dont know who decided that was 'ideal' though and why the average isnt in the ideal... but in any case thats interesting!

So my weight is now 66kg. My % is 25.3% which means that the total fat in my body is 16.6kg.
If I can lose another 3kg to get to 63kg, that will take my body fat to 13.6kg, and make 21.6% my body fat percentage. This is assuming no other variables which is never the case (e.g. water in your body at the time you measure), but interesting nonetheless. I'd be pretty happy with that weight! I am to be within 20-22% for no other reason than that this website explains that in the following way, note the highlighted bit...! I want the definition in my abs!

Body Fat Percentage Women 20-22%

This is body fat percentage is usually in the “fit” category of most body fat charts and is typical of many female athletes. Some definition in the abs is apparent, there is body fat on the arms and legs, but it’s not too pronounced. There is minimal, but some separation between muscles.

In saying all this, I've only done all this cos I am interested in numbers and seeing what happens to them with changes - I'll be happy no matter what this says :)...

My conclusion: that the body fat percentage is just another number, like the BMI which is different for everyone and just an 'interesting number' more than anything.

1 comment: